My sister, a long time member at Eatwell Farm, has been receiving CSA boxes for quite some time. She has raved about the farm and has invited me to numerous farm events, such as camping on the farm or tomato picking. Finally, this weekend, we accepted her invitation and made it to our very first Strawberry Days.
The last time I went strawberry picking was at the tender age of 10 years old. I came back with lots of strawberries and about 25 chigger bites. The chigger bites overshadowed the strawberries that day, but surprisingly I have still always fondly remembered the act of picking strawberries.
- Escaping the city for REAL summer – Dixon proved to be about 20 degrees warmer than San Francisco – typical this time of year and welcome to say the least!
- All you can eat while you pick – for free
- Picking is addictive as you hunt for the perfect strawberry – perfect has many interpretations
- Our XL box of strawberries was a mere $1 per pound
- It’s a family affair – so nice seeing friends and family spending a day together
- Supporting a local farm feels good, as does hanging out on a farm for an afternoon – relaxing!
- The Dairy Queen finder landed us with a blizzard on the way home – Yahoo!!
- More strawberries than you know what to do with, makes you very creative in the kitchen
- This was a chigger-free event – phew!!
Our menu for the week? Strawberries for breakfast, in our salads at dinner, in our freezer for later and homemade strawberry bread! Yum!